iShares Gold Bullion ETF (CGL:CA)
The investment objective of the ETF is to replicate the performance of the price of physical gold bullion, less the Fund’s fees and expenses.
The investment strategy of the ETF is to invest in long-term holdings of unencumbered gold bullion, in 100 or 400 troy ounce international bar sizes and to not speculate with regard to short-term changes in gold bullion prices.
IFM Investment Tip:
Remember gold bullion is priced and trades in US$s. This presents a Canadian investor with two risks - fluctuations in the gold price and the US$ to CDN$ exchange rates. As stated above, investors can purchase units (CGL.C) that are hedged to minimize the risks associated with currency fluctuations. If you only want to invest for the changes in the price of gold bullion, then the CGL.C might be the best option.
- Fact Sheet
- TMX Money ETF Screener
- Morningstar ETF Screener
- Underlying Index/Commodity
- Gold Bullion's price
- Asset Category
- Growth Investments
- Average Duration
- Average Maturity
- CDN$ - both non-hedged and hedged for currency risks.
- Date Established
- May 29, 2009
- Annual Management Fee
- 0.50% Plus 0.05% in Operating Expenses (2016)
- Trading Expense Ratio (TER)
- 0.00% (2016)
- Management Expense Ratio (MER)
- 0.55% (2016)
- Additional Performance Fee(s)
- Distribution Dates
- This ETF has only made one distribution - in December 2012. Distributions are at management's discretion.
- Distribution Details
- Dividend Reinvestment Plan (DRIP)
- Rebalancing Frequency
- Portfolio Turnover Ratio
- Was 14.39% in 2016, 15.00% in 2015, 4.41% in 2014, 11.63% in 2013, 10.61% in 2012, 20.84% in 2011 & 13.48% in 2010.
- Simplified Prospectus
- Last Updated